How To Protect Your Teeth This New Year
With a New Year looming, it’s a good time to think about what we can do in the months to come to boost our health and happiness. If you’re looking for ideas for resolutions, why not make your smile a priority for 2019? Here are some top tips to help you protect your teeth:
- Brushing twice a day: if you don’t already make sure you brush your teeth twice a day, every day, now is the time to devote more time and effort to keeping your teeth clean. Brushing is essential for removing plaque and preventing gum disease and cavities. When you brush, reach right into the corners, and cover every individual surface of every tooth. We recommend using fluoride toothpaste and setting a timer for at least 2 minutes.
- Flossing: flossing is an effective way to boost oral hygiene and keep decay at bay. We advise you to floss daily to keep your teeth clean and reduce the risk of plaque formation.
- Dental checks: if you don’t routinely go to the dentist at least once a year, make it your mission to see your dentist more frequently in 2019. Regular checks, every 6-12 months, reduce the risk of oral disease dramatically.
- Mouth guards: if you play contact sports or you enjoy any kind of sporting activity that carries a risk of dental injury, we recommend investing in a high-quality, dentist-made mouth guard.
- Diet: many people choose to switch up their diet in the New Year. Usually, this is designed to get rid of those of extra festive pounds, but changing what you eat can also benefit your teeth and gums. Steer clear of sugary and acidic foods, try not to graze or snack between meals, and eat healthy, balanced meals.
If you need any more advice or information about preventing dental health problems and keeping your smile in check, our dentists will be happy to help! Don’t hesitate to get in touch!