August 31st, 2018
At 24 Hour Emergency Dentist, we understand that many patients are anxious about coming to see us because they’re worried about pain. If you’ve had negative experiences in the past, you’re seeing a dentist for the first time in months or years, or you’ve sustained an injury that is very painful, it’s natural to feel apprehensive, but we can assure you that you’re in safe hands. We pride ourselves on offering pain-free dentistry in a relaxed, comfortable setting.
About dental sedation
Dental sedation is a technique we use to minimise pain and help nervous patients to feel calm. If you need treatment, we understand that you might feel very anxious. Sedation can help you to feel more relaxed both before and during your appointment. Treatment under sedation involves using sedative medication to induce a state of deep calm. You won’t lose consciousness, but you will feel very relaxed and slightly drowsy. When you’re sedated, you won’t feel any pain, and you probably won’t remember much about the treatment afterwards.
Who can benefit from dental sedation?
Sedation is recommended for patients who are anxious about having a dental procedure. If you need a complex course of treatment, or you’re worried about undergoing dental treatment, sedation can help to make you feel more comfortable. If you do have concerns, we are here to help you. We can answer any questions you have about dental sedation, and we can also talk you through the process, so that you can make a decision about whether or not you would like to be sedated. Our team is very friendly and compassionate and our dentists have extensive experience in carrying out sedation dentistry.
If you’d like to find out more about pain-free dentistry or you need urgent treatment, but you’re anxious about seeing a dentist, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
August 1st, 2018
The sun is shining, the days are long, and many of us are looking forward to enjoying some well-earned time off. This summer, you want to make sure you make the most of your downtime, rather than worrying about dental woes. Nobody wants to spend the holidays nursing an injury or dealing with troublesome toothache. It’s not always possible to prevent accidents and injuries, but here are 5 ways you can protect your smile this summer:
- Book a dental check: whether you’re heading off on holiday or you’re planning a relaxing staycation, it’s a good idea to see your dentist. If you haven’t had a check-up in the last nine months, call and make an appointment before you jet off or take time off. Dental checks enable your dentist to have a look for any problems or signs that you may not be aware of yet, and this can help to prevent decay, gum disease and oral infections.
- Wear a mouth guard if you’re playing sport: if you’re playing sport this summer, don’t forget to protect your teeth. If there’s a risk of dental injury, using a gum shield can help to prevent injuries and keep your smile in check.
- Brush twice a day, every day: brushing is the best way to keep dental disease at bay. Start and finish your day by brushing your teeth for at least 2 minutes using fluoride toothpaste. Set a timer and make sure you cover every individual tooth.
- Steer clear of fizzy drinks: many of us tend to consume more fizzy drinks in the summer, especially on holiday. Fizzy drinks are often packed with sugar, but they’re also acidic, which spells trouble for the enamel. Try and stick to water and if you must have fizzy pop, opt for diet versions and drink them with a meal.
- Wear your seat belt: this may sound very obvious, but it’s amazing how many people go on holiday and adopt a much more relaxed approach to health and safety. If you’re hiring a car or taking a taxi, don’t forget to buckle up. Seatbelts reduce the risk of serious injuries, including dental and facial injuries.