It is common to feel anxious or nervous about a visit to the dentist, but in a dental emergency it is important that you get to a dentist as soon as possible to treat the problem. Many dentists are now aware of the phobia surrounding dentistry, and offer treatments such as sedation to help you feel calm and relaxed during emergency procedures.
What is Dental Sedation?
Dental sedation uses medication to ease you into a relaxed, comfortable state during a dental procedure. This means that you will feel less stress and anxiety during treatment. It is a perfect solution for those who suffer dental phobia but require emergency dental treatment. Dental sedation is not an anaesthetic and will not make you unconscious but rather allow you to enter a relaxed, sedative state whilst treatment takes place.
Types of Dental Sedation
There are several different types of dental sedation, including:
- Intravenous (IV) sedation
- Oral sedation
- Inhalation sedation
Benefits of Dental Sedation
There are many great benefits to dental sedation. These include:
- Patients can experience from their dental anxiety
- Patients are unable to feel discomfort whilst under sedation
- It is compatible with a number of different emergency dental treatments
- There are a variety of sedative medications available that are used to affect the central nervous system, putting patients at ease and helping them to relax
- Patients with a sensitive gag reflex can undergo dental treatment with ease as the muscles will be completely relaxed
If you are a nervous patient in need of emergency treatment, please call 020 8748 9365 immediately to book an emergency appointment.
These are our locations accross London. Click to view more.